“I find in Scripture that most of the great appearances that were made to eminent
saints were made when they were busy.” – C. H. Spurgeon
I’ve been MIA for a little because of an iPhone app I’ve been developing! It will hopefully be released soon. Anyways, here are some good reads!
- Our new app is launching soon! Sign up at www.santasgizmo.com to get an update as soon as it is released!!!
- Connect on Facebook and Twitter
- A Pentecostal in (General) Support of the Strange Fire Conference – “The most hurtful thing about that conference is not the broad generalizations, sweeping condemnations, or lack of distinctions. For me as a Pentecostal the most hurtful thing about the Strange Fire Conference is my knowledge that far too many of the criticisms are true.” A great article I appreciated / via Dr. MacArthur
- FREE KINDLE BOOK: The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (Long Line of Godly Men Profiles) [Kindle Edition] Steven J. Lawson – Free, on Spurgeon, by Steve Lawson. ’nuff said.
- One Vital Lesson From Doug Phillips’ Resignation – “Here’s a Christian man who built a much-loved ministry out of promoting Christian marriage, Christian leadership, Christian family, etc… And this morning so much of what he built now lies in ruins, with many Christians he helped (and I include myself and my family in this) demoralized and depressed at the fall of a man in the one area that he went to war with our culture on.” This is a very vital warning to all those in ministry and very convicting to stay humble! / via Challies
- Why I Married A White Girl – I love Trip Lee’s music and I’ve read is book. Man of God! And I love this quote: “My main preference was that my wife be godly, and Jessica was. So I wifed her.” Haha, I hope to wife my significant other soon! I have the same preference: a godly woman. Mine happens to be Chinese like me, but that’s not the reason why she caught my eye. It was her Christ-likeness! / also via Challies.
- Strange Fire Review by Dr. Tom Schreiner – I haven’t received my copy of the book yet, but from the conference, I’d probably agree with Dr. Schreiner. I also very much respect him as one of the top NT theologians of our age and I love the short amount of time I’ve spent with the man. One of the most humble teachers and scholars I know!
- 5 Differences Between Catholic Theology And The Gospel – Pretty important differences. / via Challies (you can see I had a Challies splurge today to catch up)
- Peanut Butter Marshmallow Protein Cheesecake – Looks like a delicious recipe, high in protein [: I love protein recipes!
“God is the highest good of the reasonable creature. The enjoyment of him is our proper; and is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here. Better than fathers and mothers, husbands, wives, or children, or the company of any, or all earthly friends. These are but shadows; but the enjoyment of God is the substance. These are but scattered beams; but God is the sun. These are but streams; but God is the fountain. These are but drops, but God is the ocean.” ― Jonathan Edwards, The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Vol. 17: Sermons and Discourses, 1730-1733
- Stream Wall-E Soundtrack – I’ve been reading to this album. Simply amazing.
- Kickstarter: 3D Scan-to-Print Web App – This is pretty cool. Next step is to have high-resolution depth cameras!
- How Demons Are Like the NSA – Quite insightful: “What sort of profile could the demon-agent assigned to you build by just watching you for a day? How much could they know if they had been observing you since birth, tirelessly taking meticulous notes? Imagine if the demon network had collected more information on you than could be contained in Google’s servers.”
- Why You Can Rely On the Canon – How can we rely what books are in the Holy Bible and their accuracy? A short answer to summarize volumes of data and records that validate the Scriptures and it’s canonicity.
- Counseling Cohabiting Couples – As this is a cultural and accepted norm in our culture, it’s still not above reproach nor is it glorifying to God in pursuing holiness and living righteous lives as should be the strive of all followers of King Jesus. This will be a difficult issue to counsel, but the power of God’s Words transcend culture. A survey showing that cohabiting couples are much more likely to get divorced after marrying: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2904561/pdf/nihms-180110.pdf
- Salvation in Your Final Hour – It’s always hard to know how true someone’s repentance is at their deathbed after a life of sin with no opportunity bear fruit and experience progressive sanctification, but as Shane & Shane say, “Bring Your Nothing”
- Where did the Bible come from? – Pastor Mark Driscoll’s short guide on our complete canon of Scripture
- Skyrocket Your Strength And Muscle Gains In Two Workouts A Week! – I might try this out. Most of my first year of working out was 2 days a week, Tuesdays and Fridays after work with my workout buddy at 1.5 hrs each workout, mainly split between chest/tri and back/bi, but not much legs. These days day three is legs and core.
- The Skinny On Sweet: The Truth About 4 Common Artificial Sweeteners – A treatment of research on artificial sweeteners; pretty good insight, but if you are trying to eat healthy, it’s best to stay away from all processed foods! Meaning: shop on the edges of the grocery store where fresh meats and produce reside, but not the cakes 😉
- Pre JYM (Jim Stoppani’s new Pre-Workout) – It looks pretty good except I usually prefer less caffeine, or even none. I like the good dose of Citrulline Malate and Beta vulgarism L., but I usually also do 3.2g of Beta-Alanine rather than the 2g provided here. I’d try it if there wasn’t so much caffeine (300mg) at the end of the day. I messaged Dr. Stoppani if there were any plans for a non-stimulant version, and he said there will be a post-workout concoction which is pretty much similar without the stimulants, thus that would probably be the one I would try.
- The Rock’s Instagram – I got to help Dwayne Johnson when I first worked at Apple, super super nice guy with a killer smile. Lots of good motivational pictures and video!
- Kindle: “In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life” – Sinclair Ferguson – Free
- Kinde: “A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God’s Sovereignty” – Joni Eareckson Tada – Free
- Kinde: Pillar New Testament Commentary: Romans – Colin Kruse – $2.99 ($50 for hardcover)
This is a great book for all called into ministry, but I believe to also be a crucial insight for the church body to learn also! I’ve been majorly blessed by this book! I’ve also bought a copy for a fellow seminarian for his graduation!
I’ve recommended this before, but it’s on sale again! A key book in my Intro to Biblical Counseling class was Shepherding a Child’s Heart, also by Tedd Tripp, and it really teaches you to always get to the heart issues instead of concentrating on behavioral modification. Highly recommended [:
Kindle Fire HD $169 – Limited time offer from Amazon
- 1280×800 HD display with polarizing filter and anti-glare technology for rich color and deep contrast from any viewing angle
- Exclusive Dolby audio and dual-driver stereo speakers for immersive, virtual surround sound